Tenant-Landlord Advising

California Tenants: A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities (PDF)


California Rural Legal Assistance
Provides free legal advice for low income tenants.
Live Oak Family Resource Center
1740 17th Avenue
(831) 724-2253

Lawyer Referral Service
A non-profit which refers an attorney familiar with tenant-landlord law to tenants who do not qualify for California Rural Legal Assistance and to landlords.
(831) 425-4755

Self-Help Center of Santa Cruz County
Provides assistance for residential eviction (Unlawful Detainers), sub-leasing eviction, and Small Claims Court for both tenants and landlords.
(831) 786-7200 (option 4)

Small Claims Court information

California Courts Online Self-Help Center provides information for housing eviction, foreclosure, security deposits, and FAQs concerning these matters.

Santa Cruz County Law Library provides free online full-text pdf access to hundreds of self-help publications. "This database offers the everyday user the necessary tools and detailed “how-to” instructions to independently address a wide-range of legal issues."

The UCSC Restorative Justice Program provides a constructive dialogue process for housemates to address conflict, build understanding, enhance communication and develop mutual agreements to make things right. All services are free, voluntary and private. vduval@ucsc.edu (831) 459-3451

There are also mediation services available before you file in Small Claims Court and there is mandatory mediation in court the day of your small claims hearing. More information is available in the flyers below.

Foreclosure Hotline for Tenants
(888) 495-8020

UCSC Confidential Counseling Service
Counseling and Psychological Services offers currently enrolled UCSC students counseling for personal, academic, social, or family concerns.
(831) 459-2628
Monday-Friday 8:00 to 5:00

For time-sensitive matters, or if your question regards breaking a lease, please contact the appropriate qualified professional directly. In the case of the latter, we advise you to obtain advice from an attorney. Local free and low-cost legal services and other resources are listed above. We cannot provide legal advice.

If you still cannot find the answer, or you wish to share your experience with us, use our advising form to communicate your situation. Rental housing advising is reserved for UCSC students, staff, faculty, and the landlords who rent to them.