Renting with an Animal

A dog and a kitten sitting together.

Even if a rental agreement says “no pets” or restricts pets, the Fair Housing Act requires that landlords make what is called a “reasonable accommodation” to allow assistance animals. The term assistance animal includes both service animals and emotional support animals. 

If you are applying to rent with an emotional support animal, you may need to make a written request for a reasonable accommodation if the landlord has a rule or policy that would prevent you from having one. You may also be required to provide documentation that you have a disability and have a disability-related need for the assistance animal.

Last modified: Apr 03, 2024